The En-GENDER-ization of Our Children
This semester, I'm taking a class called Men, Women, and Society, which is basically about gender and all the ways that affects who and what we are and can be. I've always thought that I would let the girls be who they wanted to be without pushing too much on them, especially their gender. And I really don't want a boy, because they have such an un-reachably high standard for masculinity in today's society.
So, with this in mind, Raven's favorite song for the last 6 or 8 months just makes me laugh. And she can sing almost every word, even though she's not sure what they all mean. I try to avoid en-gendering my children, but it still happens. I just hope she doesn't take this message to heart!
Femininity by Hayley Mills and Dorothy McGuire
From Disney's Summer Magic (1963)
You must walk feminine, talk feminine,
smile and beguile feminine.
Utilize your femininity,
thats what every girl should know,
if she wants to catch a beau.
Dance feminine, glance feminine,
act shy and sigh feminine,
compliment his masculinity.
Thats what every girl should know,
if she wants to catch a beau.
Let him do the talking,
men adore good listeners.
Laugh, but not loudly, haha,
if he should choose to tell a joke.
Be radiant, but delicate,
memorize the rules of etiquette.
Be demure, sweet and pure,
hide the real you!
You must laugh feminine, dress feminine,
you're at your best feminine.
Emphasize your femininity,
thats what every girl should know.
Femininity, femininity, thats the way to catch a beau!
PS - Lucas says no "beau-catching" will be going on here for quite some time yet!


2 Comments:
you forgot to mention that she loves to wear little boys spiderman underwear -- that ought to mean something. also, she loves the song "swing batter batter" and "yeehaw" and knows/says "memaw thinks toby keith is a hottie".
love you! memaw
Raven loves "snakes", playing in the dirt, & not to mention everything that she does in the shop. Then she loves to dress up & be "girley" .I think Raven is her own person. Even if "society" puts presure on her. Hey, MOM, you liked getting dirty, muddy ,& grimey as much as the rest of "the guy's." Aunt T.
Post a Comment
<< Home